European Health Insurance Card – EHIC in Finland


EHIC in Finland

Information on the EHIC in Finland: As of 1st May 2010, it is necessary  for visitors from other EU countries to have an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)  if they wish to receive free or reduced medical care whilst in another EU member country.

What is an EHIC ?

An EHIC, or European Health Insurance Card, allows you access to state healthcare in EU member countries and to to be treated on the same basis as a resident of the country you are visiting.

How do I Get An EHIC?

An EHIC is free, valid for up to 5 years and available to all members of the EU. You can apply on line, over the phone or by application form.

For UK residents:

apply for a EHIC online here

To apply by phone call 0845 606 2030

Application forms are also available at the post office.

You can apply for your own card, on behalf of your partner and for any dependant children in full time education under the age of 19.  If you are under the age of 16 a parent or guardian must make the application on your behalf.

Each person you’re applying for will need to provide their:

  • full name,
  • date of birth, and
  • National Insurance or NHS number (CHI in Scotland or Health and Care Number in Northern Ireland).

For more information about the card visit the NHS site

Do I Need An EHIC In Finland?

Yes you do need an EHIC in Finland.  If for any reason you need to use the state run hospital or dental services you will need to supply both your EHIC and passport to prove that you are entitled to medical benefits.

You will also be charged a standard contribution fee that applies to all Finnish residents visiting a hospital.   You may be able to seek reimbursement for this when you are back in the UK.

The charge for a hospital visit is between 13.70€ – 27.40€.  Persons under 18 are not charged this fee.  The charge for a hospital bed for a day for in-patient care is 32.50€, outpatient care is 27.40€ and day surgery 89.90€.

More details on the EHIC in Finland

EHIC in Finland official documentation.

Do I Still Need Travel Insurance?

Yes.  The EHIC is not a replacement for travel insurance and will not cover things like mountain rescue, repatriation, lost and stolen property etc.



    It was the primary GoPro HERO digital camera to
    use a one hundred seventy° angle of view, ultra-vast lens.

  2. clothing labels camp and school

    I didn’t need 7,000 however knew I needed to order a very good amount to receive a good deal.

  3. hoodies shop

    Do you want to create a mascot for your newly formed neighborhood football team.

    This way you will avoid duplicating t-shirts in your
    wardrobe and go for styles and designs that you do not have
    therefore adding on to your collection of t-shirts. By looking
    at these pros and cons, you can decide which technique is best for your purpose of
    custom made T-shirts.

  4. With so many different styles to select from, it can be hard to pick the specific type
    that should be used. For a small living room space,
    select plain colored upholstery for sofas or chairs instead of bold plaids, stripes,
    or prints. Basically, tiles are placed on a surface and the spacing in between tiles
    is filled using a powder called grout.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *